Thursday, December 27, 2012

The problem with having beautiful children in MX....

Ha! I KNEW that title would make you click over :)

This is something I can almost guarantee EVERY mom living in mexico that reads my blog (because you all have beautiful children too!) can relate to. And this isn't in a " oooo my kids are sooo cute" way- its more of a "oooo this creeps me out" way.

Here, many people believe it "hacer daño" (does harm) if someone sees a cute child, thinks it is beautiful in some way and then DOESN'T touch, grab, or caress the child. It can be a specific physical attribute about the child (for example my youngest and her very curly hair), or just in general. Usually these touches are like a hand gently pinching a cheek, caressing their hair, or (asking) to hold the child or baby.

Growing up a person with curly hair, I often had people comment on my hair, and ask to touch it (usually ladies in their silver generation) etc. However, I have NEVER seen a person walk up behind a mother walking along with her two children in hand and SWOOP UP her 1.5 yr old without warning?!

What the heck weirdo? Its not funny! Come any closer and I WILL use my awesome-took-tons-of-self-defense-classes-thanks-Dad skills on you. Good thing I had a good grip on my baby, the lady (mid 20's) couldnt even fully hold her in arms, just kinda picked her up, laughed, set her down and walked off.

Pretty much made two executive decisions today-
1) rethinking our thoughts on having. third babe while here in MX. Seriously. I only have two hands.
2) gonna start (illegally) carrying a certain sharp, pointy object (again). Go ahead, report me to the authorities. Or assume I am joking, which ever suits you best.

Freaks, I have got my eyes on you. Bring it.

ETA: I am absolutely NOT saying this is typical here in MX. My inlaws and hubby were standing there and did NOT approve. Had the girl not put her down quickly they would have intervened. This is not normal, at least I am hoping!

7 comments:

  1. Reading this reminds me of my boyfriend. He'll talk to random kids, pet them on the head, play with them, etc. It's harmless, but I always cringe because I know here it's considered creepy. But where he's from it's normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS normal. And weird. But apparently my MIL has never liked it and never let people touch her kids, so I guess I dont have to be too nice about it next time!

      Delete
  2. I had the same problem in Mexico with people taking my baby without asking/warning. My husband actually told me the same "hacer daño" thinking as to why they do it. To me it was weird and a personal space intrusion. Where we used to live it was also not unusual for lactating women to nurse someone else's baby - without asking. Keep your eyes (and hands) on your kids at all times, amiga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading that (about nursing other peoples kids) on your blog. Wish people around here were more pro breastfeeding, the "arent you stopping soon?" Comments have started and little is only 1 yr 8 months.

      If/when we have a newborn here in MX , I will do what I did with the other two. Keep them strapped to my body in a wrap or baby carrier for 8 months. People used to ask me to hold them

      Delete
    2. (IPad froze)

      And I would shrug and say "well, they are so comfy all wrapped up" . We got here when the second one was 8 months, so I keot her to myself for quite a bit that way.

      Weird. I would NEVER take someones kid without asking, orwithout an invitation to hold them first.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this. This would def. creep me out though. I'm already a tad bit paranoid when it comes to my child....I can imagine how I'd be if this "hacer dano" thing was going on around me. It's good to know though because one day when we have the chance to take our son to visit his abuela, I'll be a little more relaxed if someone did something like this. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the smaller/younger they are, the more acceptable it is to do that sort of thing. But your kiddo is awefully cute, so be warned! LOL

      Delete